January 21, 2005

oral surgery-the aftermath

I'm home from my surgery. Arrived there at 1. Dr didn't see me until 1:45. David came to wait for me. The Dr told me it would take 45 minutes. It took 2 hours. I felt bad that David had to wait all that time when he could've been at work. But such is life.

I was nervous as hell but it all went very smoothly. Layed back in the chair. They attached a blood pressure cuff to my arm and a pulse clip to my finger. The blood pressure cuff goes automatically every 10 minutes. I felt like I was in a mini hospital. I watched the meter and my BP was 125 over 75. Perfect. My pulse started around 55 then slowly climbed up to 90! I realized that as I watched it was becoming more and more nervous which made it rise. So I took deep breaths and relaxed. Back to 75.

Then it was time for the sedation. I always hate the inital prick as everyone does. But it was very quick and painless. And within 1 minute I was feeling loopy. The leaves on the giant painting in front of me started to move and if they were coming closer. I knew then that this was gonna be A-OK.

I woke up once during the process to find 4 people standing over me poking and prodding. The salesman for a tool they started using was in and wanted to see how it works. So I had an audience. Lucky me. I hope I didn't drool too much. I think I must've been awake for about 5 minutes. They looked a little surprised to see me up. Then the Dr said he would add some more of the good stuff and within seconds I was out again. Only to wake up 2 hrs later. No pain. Just slight confusion and a realization that I am damn glad I went ahead with the sedation.

So now I'm all stitched up and gauzed. I got 3 prescriptions for Vicodin, Antibiotics and an Anti Inflammatory. I can only eat soft foods. So far I have loaded up on mashed potatoes and gravy, yogurt, cottage cheese and vanilla ice cream. Hey, maybe this aint so bad after all.

I guess I'll know tomorrow when the pain kicks in.

8 Comments:

Blogger irideout said...

Congratulations on making it out A-okay! I think I would've freaked out if I woke up during the middle of surgery and saw a bunch of people standing over me... Sounds like you were calm and brave. How long are you on soft foods for? I'd be all over the Jell-o and pudding, too. :)

8:21 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

thanks. I think I'll be on soft foods for at least 4-5 days which kinda stinks. I'm craving some steak! Oh well.

When I woke up this morning I have very little pain. So far so good!

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better--and enjoy the vicodin!

Rachel
p.s. I'm going to the dentist after ? years on Tuesday morning. All thanks to you. Well, actually, it was that diagram you posted. That freaked me out. . .

8:45 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

great news Rach. Really, there's not need to worry. It's so easy if you have a good dentist that explains everything to you. You'll do fine. I've had so many procedures in the past it's not even funny.

8:50 AM  
Blogger H3NR7 said...

I'm glad your surgery went well. It would creep me out to wake up with people staring at me. I never thought of dental work as real surgery. I like going to my dentist and after looking at the Apricotomy procedure, it makes me want to get one.
When you're all healed up, lets celebrate with STEAK!
please save me a vicodin.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

I got 20 vicodin up for grabs! Name your price ;-)

4:14 PM  
Blogger 3xPro said...

Glead to hear your surgery went well. I had simmilar surgery (maxillo facial) myself a month ago and I was surprised how easy it all was. Hope you'll recover as fast as I did.

Take care...

4:42 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

thanks Nick. I'm feeling great. Much better than I thought I would.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home