October 09, 2005

Uno. Dos. Tres...

(photo found here)


David and I went to see U2 last night at MSG. We actually almost forgot to go because we bought the tickets so long ago. But my spidey sense was tingling on Friday and I thought I better check when the date is. Good thing, because it was the next night!

They were awesome. The light show was very impressive. They had the open stage w/ large chandelier type lights hanging overhead. A huge oval walkway went out over the crowd and was filled in the middle with lucky general admission people. We were not one of those. But we did have great seats (first row of 300 section on the side near the stage). The oval (see photo) was lined with lights that would flash, change color, or move around to the music. They also had what looked like those beaded curtains (see photo) come down and also light up different colors to the music or they would even project images onto them. It was really beautiful. Describing it is difficult so I'm not sure if this sounds hokey or not. But it was stunning. Reminded me of billboards in Tokyo or Times Square. Kudos to the lighting guys who created this.

The setlist was a perfect mix of old and new. More old than new, which is what I prefer. What is so amazing about U2 concerts is the audience participation. The entire stadium was singing along. It was really moving. Mary J. Blige came out and sang "One" with Bono which was a nice treat. A few songs hit me hard and actually made me a little weepy they were so beautiful-All I Want is You, Sunday Bloody Sunday and I Will Follow. I can imagine it must be difficult to sing with emotion night after night, month after month. But they always pull it off. The Edge is pure genius. I said to David "he IS U2". Bono is great. But The Edge's guitar are what make the U2 sound purely theirs. So beautiful.

Nothing could compare with the Oct 2001 Elevation tour. The timing (1 mth after Sept 11th) and the emotion of that show was unlike anything I've ever experienced. But they never fail to impress me.

For now, the last lyrics we heard as they left the stage one by one ring in my head-"How long, to sing this song..."


Setlist

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
I Will Follow
All I want is You
Beautiful Day
Miracle Drug
Sometimes you can’t make it on your own
Love and Peace or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Human Rights
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

First Time
Wild Horses
With or Without You

All Because of You
Fast Cars
Original
“40”

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

LUCKY You! I actually Like U2 and I dont really like ROCK,but that BAND IS AWESOME!,Cool! Im happy for you

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home