March 01, 2004


WOW. I mean WOW. This weather is amazing. Everyone and their mother (and dog) were out and about this wknd. Upon leaving our apt we stumbled on this cutie at a Kerry rally. I don't think he was fully aware of what was going on and seemed happy to pose for the picture.



So the diet has begun. As a goodbye to carbs, we stumbled upon a great place yesterday in the East Village. When I saw the name I knew it was THE place to enjoy my last white bread/sugar laden supper-The Original New York Milkshake Company. What could be better than grilled cheese and a black & white shake?

As we approched I noticed the CLOSED sign on the door. But the hours were till 11pm, and it was only 6. So I opened the door to the guy behind the counter yelling "we're closed-we ran out of milk and ice cream". Um, can't you go across the street to the deli to pick some up? No, we use frozen milk. Ohhh, I understand now??

So I ordered a grilled cheese anyway. Cheddar on white. Then he decided he did have a little ice cream left and made me the last shake of the day-black & white of course.

He had quite an attitude. Yelling at customers who asked for shakes. A poor girl who had JUST arrived for her first day at work was told there is no more ice cream and she has to go home. "I TRIED TO CALL YOU. DON'T YOU PICK UP THE PHONE AT HOME" he yelled. "Uh, no, I wasn't home." He wasn't exactly mean, just frustrated.

My shake was great. Not amazing like an Island Burger shake, which I consider the best ever, but pretty darn good. The grilled cheese was made in a sandwhich press. During cooking they would raise the press and slather it with the buttery looking mixture. Tasted a little artificial but still yummy. They even packed it to go in one of those nifty BBQ insulated bags. Nice thinking! They also ran out of cup lids. Bad day in the grilled cheese/milkshake industry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home