June 06, 2004


Belmont miStakes

I wonder how long it will take me to get over this defeat. Yesterday was such an amazing day full of many highs, and one huge low.

We arrived there around 1 or so. Got settled in, lost a few folks but caught up with them later. Luckily the rain held off most of the day. The crowd had to be the largest I've ever seen there. Mainly OTB types smoking up a storm (how do they get away with it?) with the occasional lady wearing a cheap hat. Its no Kentucky Derby, thats for sure.

We bet on almost all the races. I only came out with 1 $14 win. Matthew, on the other hand, won a total of $600 or so. Not bad for a day at the races.

As the day went on we all felt the tension of Race 11 coming up. As soon as Race 10 ended we all ran out to see the star, in the flesh. I swear it was like a movie star was arriving. Everyone gathered around, cameras and videocameras in hand, awaiting the one reason we were all there that day. Children were on their father's shoulders-"Is he here yet Daddy? I want to see Smarty!". Then he arrived. We all cheered and clapped, camera flashes going off. It was unlike any Belmont Stakes I've ever seen. We've been there for possible Triple Crown winners, but this was so different. It was so close to all of our hearts.

After we got a couple of glimpses of him, we all headed back to get our place in our seats (and kick out a few stragglers) for the Main Event. Everyone gathered around. We all got up on our seats and everyone started chanting "SMAR-TY, SMAR-TY". It was so moving. Everyone cheered as they brought the horses out onto the racetrack to warm them up and get them into the gates. I actually felt like the building was going to come down on top of us with all the foot stamping and joy. We all oohed and aahed as they tried to get that pissed off beast Rock Hard Ten into the gate. Then we all held our breath as they loaded the final horse into the gate.

Then it all went to shit.

As soon as they came out of the gate we all looked to the scoreboard to see the run order. Smarty was in first. What?? What is going on here? Don't push him too hard too early. Don't screw this up! The crowd was going absolutely nuts. Its funny, I didn't feel I was at the Belmont Stakes that day in hopes that Smarty would win. I believed I went there to see him win, to witness history in the making. There was absolutely no doubt in my mind. Then the unimaginable happened. As he approached the last turn and the final run for the finish line, he was overtaken by that bastard of a horse Birdstone. Who the hell is this? No one could believe their eyes. It was so surreal. I fell to the chair and just started crying. It was just so heartbreaking. It was one of the biggest dissapointments of my life. He should have won that race. The way he won a place in all of our hearts.

We love you Smarty Jones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home