June 01, 2004


Dim Sum  Posted by Hello

Saturday David and I went for Dim Sum with Matthew and his friend visiting from Miami, Tatiana. It was nice not getting there too late because if you go early you get lots more Mexican Buns to eat. We ordered 9 buns for 4 people. The waitress was surprised and amused we ordered so many. I got the extra. Damn, I could really survive on those alone.

Afterward we split up and David and I strolled in Chinatown and walked up Hudson through the Village. It was such a beautiful, quiet day in the city. I swear at least half of NYC was away this wknd. It felt like we had the place to ourselves. Stopped at a great little place for lemonade, I think it was called the Chick Inn? They had cute little tables and comfy chairs outside to relax in. It would definitely be a nice place for a Summer Sunday brunch.

On the subway a nice lady sitting next to me started up a conversation. This was odd because 1-I never see elderly people on the train and 2-its rare that someone who's not a tourist starts up a conversation. She talked about how it would be so scary if there was a bomb in the train-where would we go? Then she told me about how in the 40's everyone in NYC was so kind. Everyone was dressed up all the time, men would tip their hats to the ladies, life was good. Now, she says, no one talks to you, everyone looks like a bum. I told her at least it is safe and a woman can easily travel alone. She agreed. She was on her way to see Paul Anka in Little Italy perform. She was very excited.

On the way home from our outing on Saturday we saw yet another elderly lady. She was standing over us as we were sitting. She noticed David keeping his eyes open for the express train. "the express train is really wonderful isn't it. I took it once from 14th Street and I was amazed at how quickly I got to 72nd. Its such a wonderful train" We agreed and smiled. Then we stopped at 72nd street, she said it was a pleasure meeting us, and proceeded to go out the door. But there were a couple of people in the way. Then the nice old lady changed. She changed to something entirely different- "GET THE HELL OUT OF THE DOOR. DON'T STAND IN THE WAY! GET OUT OF MY WAY!! MMMOOOOOVVVVEEEEE!!" Nice old lady was not so nice anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home