August 01, 2004

Just Like Heaven (but hot like hell)

Yesterday was yet another monumental concert moment in my life. That's right, I saw The Cure. Again (and again and again and again and again...).

Went with David, Matthew, Rachel and Celvyn to see the Curiosa festival yesterday at Randall's Island. Now Randalls Island was a bit of a curiosity for all of us as we had no clue how to get there or what it even was really. Ended up taking a bus there which was pretty painless. We arrived about 4pm, checked the band list, and saw Interpol was at 7:15, Cure 8:45. Then Celvyn and began walking ahead of the group. Then we broke into a run. But as we got closer we realized that 1) We were going to be pretty damn close and 2) There was a baricade in front of the stage so any dreams I had of touching Robert again were out the window.

Put down the ever-handy Neat Sheet and sat. And sweat. And played poker, but couldn't think. Because it was hot. And we were hot. At one point none of use could divide 3 into 54. Too hard to think. It was that hot. But people started arriving around us and they stood so we were shaded.

Mogwai came on. They were alright, but I like lyrics. A little while later The Rapture came on and they were awesome. So much fun to watch and such a nice mixed up style of music. They attract some crazy ass fans though. Fan boys with big puffy hair and funky little pipes. And tattoos of strange things on their backs. Strange things like the map of Long Island. Yes, Long Island. Who in HELL would ever get LI on them? Who the HELL is even that proud of LI?? I'm going to hope he is like Robert Moses' great great grandson or something because I racked my brain and can find no other meaning for it. Good god child, GET A LIFE!

Interpol came on on time. In fact everyone was very punctual. They look darling in their black outfits, especially guitar man on the right who resembled Noah Wylie but with a really nice, perfect fitting black suit and tie. Just dashing. They were awesome. Sounded exactly like the album. I was afraid they'd suck live. But I can only take Interpol in short bursts so I was glad they ended their set in 40 minutes. It was just enough. Unlike other bands, bands who no matter how long they play, it's NEVER enough...

The Cure came on promptly at 8:45. By that time we were just drenched with sweat and needed someone to take away the misery. And no one can do that better than Robert Smith. They all came out in their gloomy glory, Robert looking especially happy to be there smiling coyishly. For my full review you can check here. I will say that although they played too many shitty songs from the new album, they never cease to amaze me. No music fills my heart, soul and mind like theirs (his). And while hearing songs from Disintegration does bring me back to high school, all their music is always beautiful, ethereal and timeless-and a huge part of who I am.

2 Comments:

Blogger daniel harvey said...

We were at the Randall's show as well. I was a little surprised (but pleased as well) that they didn't play more off of the new album. It was peachy that they played 10:15 at 10:15 on a Saturday night. :)

More comments and pics available here:
http://invisiblerabbit.com/2004/08/ortgeistcuriosa.html

Hope you like 'em. If you do drop me a line in the comments over there. :)

2:28 AM  
Blogger johnny ulver said...

Hello, i´m Juan and i like to meet you, my mail is:
ddtronix@hotmail.com
I like your blog ;)
bye.-

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home