October 28, 2004

subway stories

I've been thinking about the subway a lot the past 2 days. I remembered my favorite subway story.

My first week living in NYC I was taking a lot of trains to interviews around the city. It was great because I was learning all the different lines and stops. One afternoon on the 1 train I was sitting and minding my own business. We stopped at 59th Street and the doors were open for maybe 15 seconds when an elderly lady near me realized it was her stop and starting making her way over to the door. Slowly. Very slowly. I thought to myself 'she's not going to make it'. The woman was very hunched over and scuffled along to the door. Just as she got to the door it closed on her. I mean literally closed on her. On her head/neck. Only her head was sticking out of the train and her body remained in the train. The doors began to open, close, open, close continuously, her head been banged every time. I sat and watched in horror as she quietly mumbled "ay, ay, ay", but I was frozen. Two men next to me finally jumped up and held the doors open so she could get out. The train began to move and a woman nearby said "only in New York". Indeed.

Anyone else want to share their favorite subway story?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Simone! That reminds me of The Onion headline: Nation's Elderly Hit Hard By Closing Automatic Doors. *Jen

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most of my memorable stories are obscene ;( And your new template rox. It's like a hot cup of cider on breezy fall day. . .

XRachel

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home