November 20, 2007

General Slocum

There's a saying "you learn something new everyday" and it got me thinking, and I believe it to be true. I'd like to write down what my new thing is each day. Of course this is easier said than done, but I will give it a try. Or maybe I'll add a sidebar to notate it. Who knows.

Today I learned of The General Slocum Disaster while reading a news story on South Brother Island, which was just repurchased by the city for $2 million dollars. What a terrible tragedy, the worst martime disaster in New York's history. 1,021 people, mainly women and children, were killed by a horrible fire on this ship some 103 years ago. A fire that could have been stopped and many lives saved if it weren't for the slow reaction of the crew and faulty saftey equipment.

Anyone who now travels by boat should give thanks to those who lost their lives, as their deaths subsequently created safety measures that have saved countless others as a result.

I will try and remember them next time I am aboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home