April 29, 2008

Bdays

So I guess I'm overdue for posting. Especially since two important birthday's just passed by and all I put up was some photos. But I guess I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the time. Such is life with a one year old.

Sophie's birthday was definitely not what I expected. We invited some friends of the family to come over to celebrate with us. Saturday was spent shopping and preparing food for the big day on Sunday. David had a whole menu written out with homemade finger sandwiches, lots of little desserts and tea. But come Sunday morning, both Shaina and Sophie became ill with flu like symptoms. I was so dissapointed that my baby was going to miss her very first birthday. Luckily she slept most of the day and woke up just in time for us to blow out candles with her and enjoy a bite or two of her cupcake. Poor thing was so miserable, just moaning. But the first birthday really isn't for the child, it's for the family. And we celebrated in her honor the rest of the day. Then of course the rest of the family came down with this mini flu as I call it over the course of the next few days. Myself being hit last at the end of the week.

David's birthday was this past weekend. For his gift I got him the Nikon D40 Digital SLR camera. It's awesome. Right out of the box we took some really beautiful photos of Sophie. Finally a camera we love. With the digital we had we could never get really great indoor shots of her. Always too much flash or too dark with too much blurry movement. Oh how I wish we got this camera a year ago. But at least now we'll start getting some really nice shots of her.

I still can't believe she's 1. The year had many ups and downs, and it took me awhile to really get the hang of motherhood. I definitely think the first 6 months was the most difficult, with the constant feedings and nighttime wakings, but once I got the swing of things (and once she slept throught the night) I was really able to enjoy it all so much more. Now it's just always such a joy to be with her. She always brings a smile to our face and lights up the room with her dimples and laughter. Such a sweet, sweet baby.

Here are some pics we took around the apartment with the new camera. We can't wait to take it for a spin outside. The first one is of Sophie showing off her new Fisher Price Grow With Me Kitchen (thanks for the idea Irene)!



8 Comments:

Blogger H3NR7 said...

What a sweet gift.
Let's see some Nikon D40 shots of Sophie.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

OK!

6:38 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Sophies Eyes look unbelievable with that camera!

I want it!

Hmm

11:57 PM  
Blogger Jenny & Erik said...

What a great gift! We are really happy with our Nikon too. It's amazing how well it does in low light. Those shots of Sophie are adorable!

5:12 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

I was wondering if you ended up getting the toy kitchen for Sophie or not! :) How does she like it? I hope she likes it. If she does, it really can grow with her. Isabelle is over 2 1/2 years old now, and she still loves playing with it. For Christmas one year, my sister gave her some toy foods to go with it, and that enhances her play quite a bit, too.

Isabelle was sick, too, for her first birthday. :( But like you said, the first birthday is really more like for the family to celebrate, and it does sound like you all had a wonderful celebration of Sophie's first year.

Beautiful photos of your sweetie! Thanks for sharing!

8:44 PM  
Blogger Celvyn Morada, SDPT said...

Sophie is large! So when does she start her own blog--you're weighing her down, man!!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Sophie loves her kitchen! Although she's still too young for imaginative play, she loves putting all kinds of objects into the play oven and pushing the blender button to make sounds. I've been trying to show her how to stir the pots and she's getting the hang of it. She always pretends to use the cell phone too. Too cute! I'm so glad I got it for her.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow it must have taken a lot of finger sandwiches to write out that entire menu!

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home