September 20, 2004

Family fun wknd

Fun wknd with the family. Friday night was 'our' night. David and I On Demanded Mystic River. Hm, I am now convinced that Clint Eastwood can't direct very well. I mean, you have an amazing cast and he still managed to mess it up. Emotions should've run higher with all involved. Sean Penn is in my opinion the best actor out there, and I feel he was wasted talent in this one. Sorry Clint, you didn't make my day.

Saturday my Mom & Fred came into town. We started off with Dim Sum at Golden Unicorn. Had all the regular favorites and added a few new tasty treats. One standout was the tapioca pudding/soup. Tasted a bit like coconut and had little chunks of sweet potato and taro in it. Really sweet, warm and delicious. Perfect to warm us up with the crappy weather outside.

Proceeded onto the new Time Warner center. Browsed through the mall quickly, then onto the Mandarin Oriental. We went up to the bar on the 35th floor but apparently it was closed for a Bar Mitvah. A BAR MITVAH!! Damn, rich people kill me.

Had drinks at Hudson Hotel, which I realize is a lot more dramatic at night than during the day. Then went on to Artisanal for a cheesy-licious dinner. But too much cheese and Simone is not a happy girl. Cheese=bad. Other than that the meal was great. Although we did try one cheese that, I kid you not, smelled like doo doo. I mean really smelled like it. But Matthew and I decided to try it anyway and guess what? It tasted like doo doo. I almost threw up. Never in my life have I had something so unbelievably disgusting. How could anyone enjoy this crap? Sent it back and got a nice aged Gouda instead. Sent Mom & Fred back on the train to LI and went home.

Sunday was a family brunch hosted by David's Mom & Dad. Weather was picture perfect. Huge spread was set up, courtesy of Costco. But what meal on LI isn't? All the food was great and plentiful, as were the calories. All my cousins came over with the kids, aunts, uncles, the whole gang. Played kick ball out front with the kids, and I realize I still suck at sports after all these years. No wonder I was always last picked. Sat with my uncle a bit as he told me yet again that his time to go is near, he's 80 years old, has an aneurysm near his heart, and is not going to have an operation to fix it because as he says, "he's been around long enough". So sad.

Snuck away with Matthew to DSW. I've never been to this 'shoe heaven' and found lots to choose from. But ended up with one pair that was exactly what I was looking for. Now my Yom Kippur outfit is complete with my new Steven brown crocodile pumps.

I love the Fall.

MUMMY & FRED @ DIM SUM


MICHAEL JR, KIMMIE & ALEX


PEACE



BABY SOPHIA


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home