February 26, 2006

The Butterfly Effect

We rented The Butterfly Effect from Netflix a few weeks ago and finally watched it on Friday. Now normally, a movie that stars Ashton Kutcher would not be high on my list. But I've heard from a few people that it's worth seeing so we gave it a go.

When I put the disc in the DVD player and queued it up to watch it prompted me to choose the Director's Cut or the Theatrical Version. We thought about it and figured we'd try the theatrical first. But that would require me to get off the couch and flip the disc over. No go. I was too comfy and too lazy. So we watched the Director's Cut.

The movie started off promising but in the end was too long with too many variations. Like, I get it. I get the point. David thought that if this was in the hands of a better director that it could be really good. Overall I thought it was pretty good. I guess I expected more of a Sixth Sense type twist. Still, the story was mildly interesting.

We IMDB'd it later the next day and found out that the theatrical version has a completely different ending. But I had already mailed it back to Netlflix. Damn, now I wish I got my lazy ass off the couch and flipped it. I guess this prove's the butterfly effect theory after all!

4 Comments:

Blogger irideout said...

Hey, the exact same thing happened to us when we got The Butterfly Effect from Netflix! We always like to watch the director's cut if it's available, and that's the version we chose. By the time we finished the movie, we forgot about the theatrical version, and we mailed it back! Then I did the same thing as you - I looked it up on IMDB! And then we realized there was that theatrical version that we missed, but we didn't like the movie enough to rent it again just to see the theatre version, so I went to great lengths to find spoilers that would TELL me what the theatrical version ending was! (I can see why they changed the ending for the theatre release, which was much less dramatic, less interesting, and less disturbing.)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

I love alternate endings. It's interesting to see which one the director chose compared to which one the movie company chose. I'm sure I'll catch the other ending on cable at some point.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

TWO WORDS "Loved It".

I do not know which version I saw but it was when It first came out and was from blockbuster, so I LOVED IT!

12:08 PM  
Blogger hillary said...

i liked it. i didn't like one of the endings though. it freaked me out. but i thought they had them in the deleted scenes, too.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home