January 11, 2009

Because

Now that Sophie watches Sesame Street daily, I too have come to love it once again. I actually find it as entertaining for me as it is for her. So many of the skits are based on nighttime adult shows, whether it be "Law and Order: Special Alphabet Unit" or "Deal or No Deal", there really is something for everyone on this show. And it's great to see my old friends, as well as new ones (Elmo). Looking it up on the Wik I see this was exactly their plan from the beginning-to get adults as involved as the children so they don' t use the show as a babysitter but so they become involved in the learning process right along with their children.

Reading about the creation process, writing and history of the show is fascinating. It is reported that by the time children reach 3 years of age, 95% of them have seen Sesame Street. 95%!

While reading about the variety of characters on the show, I came across the clip below, which has been classified as one of the Top 10 Most Influential Moments in daytime television history. To me, it's just heartbreaking. Bye Bye Mr. Hooper.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love sesame street too!!! just the best kids show ever.
when you get a sec. e-mail me becasue i have lost all my e-mail adds. and am trying to rebuild my add. book again. thanks
love cindy

12:16 PM  
Blogger Jenny & Erik said...

Erik and I loved Sesame Street as kids too. A few years ago we were in Central Park and a guy was playing the theme song on his saxophone. At the exact same time, Erik and I belted out the words, I sang English and Erik in Dutch. I had no idea the show was so international. They call their version "Sesame Straat" and their big bird is blue! Amazing that the show crosses generations and borders!

1:12 PM  
Blogger rachelpinklovesunicorns said...

i don't know why i watched this when i KNEW it was about mr. hooper. my god, when Big Bird asks who will make him birdseed milkshakes i started to bawl. . .

3:17 PM  
Blogger Shaina Rotstein said...

This video made me all teary :'( I love Sesame street.... always have and always will! Just like Mr. Hooper, it will always be in my memories!!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

I cried while watching this too. Twice. Especially when Big Bird says "well I'll just give it to him when he comes back". Then Maria responds "he's not coming back Big Bird". So sad. And having children it makes it even worse b/c you imagine explaining someone's death to them one day.

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home