December 06, 2004

back to work

Today was my last day of jury duty. I was so close to getting on a case. But in the end I was denied. Why? I don't know. David thinks it's because I'm white. I thought it was because of my age (everyone there seemed older). But I think Dave is right as the jurors I saw selected were all Hispanic, Black or Asian. Damn. I really wanted a trial. And this one was to last 7-12 days. Damn damn damn.

We were told as we left that we wouldn't be called back for 6 years. This disturbed me. But luckily you can volunteer to be called every 2 years so I promptly signed up. I don't know why people don't like jury duty. I get there at 10am. Break for lunch at 1, and usually get out no later than 3:30. Today we were released at 12:30! It's in Chinatown so lunch is always yummy. I can read all day and relax. What's not to like?

I finished Dry and started Me Talk Pretty One Day. Great so far. I need a break from Augusten. While I love his writing, sometimes you need to switch things up a bit. Dry was great but I found myself wishing he'd drink again to make it more exciting. But overall a great read. Highly recommended.

Went shopping at Century 21 afterwards. Damn I could buy that whole store. Bought a nice dress for the work Christmas party and some gifts for the hubby. And of course socks for myself. I can never seem to leave a store without buying at least one pair of socks. Knee high socks of course.

And best of all I hear that American Idol is coming back next month. Woo-hoo!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Spo0kybear said...

Well good...so what time are u meeting me for the movies!! woo hoo!! free movies rock!!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

knee high socks rule. get some legwarmers too!!

Xrachel

11:05 PM  
Blogger Shall we dansu said...

ok. can i borrow dry once i return the corrections?

12:44 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

you can borrow Dry but you should read Running With Scissors first. Not necessary but recommended.

And yes I'm all over those knee high socks. I even went a little nuts and got thigh high socks! woohoo I'm crazy!

12:38 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

I'm one of those people who always wish to not be chosen for a trial! I've been called for jury duty twice, and each time I just had something to do that a lengthy trial would have interfered with. The first time, during a school vacation, I already had an out-of-town trip planned a few days later, and the second time I just had a lot going on and needed the time to do job-search related stuff. Granted, each of these times I was not employed. :P I am pretty sure that if I were ever called for jury duty and I was employed, then I wouldn't mind serving on the jury. ;)

Anyway, it sounds like NY and MA do their jury duty differently! Did you have to go in every day for a week? And every day was a new chance to be chosen for a jury? In MA it's a "one day or one trial" system, so if you get called, but don't serve on a jury, it still counts as having fulfilled your duty until your next turn. And in MA, you're eligible to be called beginning 2 years from your previous service.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home