August 21, 2005

So I messed up...

Every minute of free time David and I have lately has been devoted to our new apartment. Buying things here and there at Bed, Bath & Beyond, looking online for ideas, watching HGTV, painting, shopping, you name it. David has some big idea for the bathroom, but he won't tell me what it is. In return I got to do the bedroom. Woohoo!

So we did it yesterday. And it sucks. I had decided (after buying, then returning, then buying again) on a chartreuse bedding set from Macy's. I do love the set. But what wall colors go with chartreuse? So on Friday it came to me, we will paint the walls a dark gray. We even took pictures of the bed all set up and then did the walls in photoshop, and I thought it looked really cool. But I thought wrong.


the bedding set



(not our bedroom, but an example of the wall color)


We spent 3 1/2 hours and $100 yesterday prepping and painting the room and now I don't like it. And I don't think he does either. On top of this we also got a gallon too much paint, another $50 wasted. So now I have to rethink the whole thing. And return the bedding set. Again.

I feel like such an ass. I should've known it would be too dark. The room just feels so cold and uninviting. The opposite of what I was going for. I'm so tired of thinking about this room. Now we will have to prime (probably multiple times) and paint again. Another day wasted.

So the search continues.

5 Comments:

Blogger irideout said...

Oh, I'm sorry! I'm surprised the color scheme doesn't work though - the bedding set photo has a dark grey in the background, and it looks good! But maybe with the whole room dark grey it looks cold?

Some people hate this idea, but I like it - the idea of painting two different colors in one room? Like have one main color for the room, but then have one wall painted a different color, for variety or emphasis or whatever. If you don't want to "waste" the time and money on the painting and the bedding set, maybe you can keep the wall behind the bed grey, but paint the other rooms some shade of neutral off-white?

Just an unsolicited suggestion! I've thought a lot about colors and such with my mom's remodeling. :P Forgive my boldness! Good luck with the room - don't be frustrated, everything in your apartment looks great so far!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

Thanks Irene.

I think your idea is good. Actually, when we started painting and finished the main wall I LOVED the color. But once we completed the whole room I didn't like it anymore. Maybe we will try your suggestion.

Thanks so much!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

What color was the wall when you painted it??

11:30 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

the wall was a very light greenish/grey that the previous owner had painted it.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement!

We spent all day yesterday w/ Henry looking at home stuff and home decorating books. Still not sure what I'm going to do but we'll find something eventually.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home