March 14, 2005

LI

Went to LI yesterday to celebrate Gramma's birthday. She had saltfish & eggs waiting for us. Along with some bake. Then later on she had doubles ready for lunch. I love my Gramma.

We went to visit David's childhood babysitter, Ana, in the nursing home. She has been there since December. She is 98. Amazing. I was very nervous to go as I've never been to a nursing home before. This one was nice. As nice as a nursing home can be I guess. As we walked the halls looking for her room I peered into other rooms. So many elderly people, lying in their beds, watching TV. Very sad. Then we found Ana. She had at least 5 people in the room, all saying hello to her. Her daughter and son-in-law were there. They come to see her everyday. That made me happy. It's so sad that some people will admit their family members there and rarely visit.

Ana was pleased to see us and recognized us immediately. She can't speak much but managed to get out a 'guapo' to David and Matthew and a 'que bonita' for me and Shaina. She also recognized Gramma and said "my friend for many years". She constantly blew us kisses and held our hands, not wanting us to go, and to show how happy whe was we came and didn't forget about her. It was very touching. Just as we were leaving more visiters had come to see her. Her grandchildren and great grandson had come with flowers and kisses. There was so much love in the room.


Ana


Afterward we went to see Bride & Prejudice with the whole family. This is my first Bollywood movie, and probably my last. Not that it was horrible or anything, just not my cup of tea. The Indian women were amazingly beautiful and the colors in the musical numbers were so vibrant. It was overwhelming. But at two hours it felt too long. I was ready to leave.

We went back to the house. Had dinner. Brought out the Junior's cheesecake Matthew brought. Candles were blown out. We said our birthday goodbyes and took the dreaded LIRR home.

Did I mention how much I love my Gramma?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home