October 12, 2006

PB & J

Yesterday was a momentous day for me, I had my first peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I know, I know. How could it be my first time? Well it all goes back to when I was six years old and first arrived here from Australia. When I started first grade in Miami I noticed all the kids in the lunchroom with their "American" food. Putting ketchup on fries, unheard of in Australia. And jelly with your peanut butter sandwich? Are these people crazy? Also, for whatever reason, in my mind I was NOT going to be an American no matter what. I was an Aussie and I will defend my country and it's eating habits forever! I can't say I feel that way now, but for a long time I just never wanted to try the PB & J for this reason. I ate peanut butter toast daily but would never even consider putting that vile jelly on it!

Yesterday I worked from home and decided to make some peanut butter on an english muffin. Recently I bought some great jams from Sarabeth's. We've been eating it nightly on crackers so I thought, dammit, I'm gonna give this a try and put some on my toast. And it was good! Who knew? I can't say I'll do it everytime I have peanut butter toast (which is often) but at least I finally gave it a go.


As far as my pregnancy is concerned, things seem to be going well. I'm over my tiredness for the most part and have a bit more energy than before. Saturday will be 15 weeks. I still feel like time is dragging but I'm sure things will get moving as the holidays move closer. And Irene you were right, now I only get up once or twice a night to use the bathroom, which definitely makes me feel well rested in the morning.

8 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

ILL!!! PB N J!! ME NO GUSTOS! I HATE JELLY, AND PB!! GOOD LUCK ON THA PREGMANCY..MY FRIENDS MOTHER AND MY TEACHER JUS HAD A MISCARRIAGE =(

4:06 PM  
Blogger Scott said...

You put Magellan on toast!?!

Can anybody tell me the difference between Jelly and Jam?

9:04 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

i've never had PBJ...i think the concept is gross.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

YOU SHOULD SEE THE AMOUNT OF POSTS I MADE ON MY BLOG!!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

I think jelly is what American's say, and jam is what European's call it.

All I know is that Sarabeth's is damn good.

9:47 AM  
Blogger e.kuo. said...

jelly vs jam debate solved:

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a951124a.html

12:09 AM  
Blogger irideout said...

I never had a PB&J until a couple years ago, too! In high school, somehow it came up in math class that I had never had one (my Chinese mom probably just didn't know about it!), and some of my classmates would joke about bringing in a sandwich for me. But no one ever did. So my first sandwich was when Ken and I went to a high school graduation party of one of his students. Part of the elaborate food spread was PB&J finger sandwiches - cut into perfect triangles with the crusts cut off!

I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better!! Enjoy your sleep!! When I made the transition from 1st to 2nd trimester, I was kind of annoyed at everyone telling me "the 2nd trimester is the best, you'll have all this energy!" - because frankly, I didn't. :P For me, the 2nd trimester was good in terms of comfort - not too big yet, no nausea, and normal energy levels. I guess maybe it might have seemed like "a lot" of energy compared to the 1st trimester. I also felt like time was dragging at the start of the 2nd trimester, too. Because during that time, not only did I not feel pregnant anymore, but I didn't look really pregnant yet, either! I started to look forward to my growing belly. :)

6:09 AM  
Blogger hillary said...

jam has seeds. Jelly doesn't. And jelly's more congealed. Harder to spread.

Yay!

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home