March 16, 2005

My Dad

My Dad died today. He passed at 6:45AM Australian time. For him it couldn't have come soon enough as he has been in a lot of pain due to cancer taking over his liver. For us that he has left behind it is always too soon.

My Dad left us when I was 12 years old, my brother 18. Due to bad business deals and mismanaging of money he lost everything-our cars, electricity, water, phone, and eventually the house. He left on a two week trip to do some business dealings overseas and never returned. Occasionally we would recieve a postcard from various European countries with updates on the next deal he's about to break into and how he hopes to return soon. He never did. Eventually I realized that he was not coming back. And my missing him turned into anger. I didn't talk to him for several years.

I began writing him again in my teens. Usually angry letters or just simple Christmas cards without emotion. But deep down I missed my Dad. He was everything to me as a child.

The past 15 years or so we have talked several times a year. Sending cards and letters on holidays and talking on birthdays and Christmas. About a year and a half ago he was diagnosed with lung cancer. No doubt caused by the cigarettes, cigars, and pipes he loved so much. They removed one of his lungs and things seemed to be better afterwards.

Months later he was having terrible stomach pains. He was diagnosed with liver cancer. They began chemotherapy which lasted many weeks. He became very weak as expected. After the doses were done they did their x-rays and the news wasn't good. The lesions had grown 12%. It was just a matter of time.

He was moved to a hospice about two weeks ago. They were good to him. He enjoyed the food. They allowed him to drink his favorite sherry. He died with his girlfriend Jacquie by his side.

I'm so sad. Even though he hasn't been a main part of my life for 20 years now he's still my Dad. And I still love him.



Adalbert Ottomar Konrad Valentin Launerts (Ady O) 1927-2005



1 Comments:

Blogger Norwegian said...

My deepest sympathy to you and your family!

Roger

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home