April 24, 2007

Boob Blues

As I sit here with bags of frozen vegetables in my bra, I have to wonder-why is breastfeeding so darn difficult? I think we all assume you put the baby on the breast and it feeds. Just like that. Not always the case! How do the women in third world countries do it? After taking breastfeeding class before she was born, then seeing many nurses & a Lactation Consultant at the hosptial, a clinic yesterday where two different LC's were arguing over what advice to give me, and finally a Internist/LC who paid me a home visit today, I think I finally have some good advice on how to proceed. I have had many things against me. The latest is clogged ducts and Sophie may be now be tongue tied. It never ends! But the important thing is getting breastmilk to her one way or the other. And so far we've been successful doing that, with some formula supplementing. But I really don't like giving formula. Sure it's fine for some, hell even I was raised on it, and I'm healthy. But I just had my heart set on breastfeeding so I've been doing everything possible to make it work.

Other than that things are going ok. I'm getting maybe 4 or 5 hours of sleep a day. And that's not consistent hours. I think I sleep in 1 1/2 intervals. I have to pump every three hours round the clock. Very tiring. That on top of her waking up drink what I just pumped. David does most of the feedings which is great. But he's only home for another week or so then back to work he goes. How will I ever do this on my own?



Oh, and a BIG shoutout to RachelPink who sent me some yummy chocolates today. You really know how to brighten a girls day! You ROCK!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations on your new arrival!! Parenthood is such an experience, you both will be great parents! Can't wait to meet your new arrival!

Shea, Allison and Rley

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

You're right! It should be as easy as putting your baby to your breast. It wasn't that way for me, and it isn't that easy for many people.
Hopefully you can make it work for you. I totally empathize with you. It's the thing that I wanted with all of my heart, but it just didn't work for me.
You're doing a great job mommy.
Just keep plugging away. One day at a time!
And you'll be FINE when your husband goes back to work.
Sleep when baby sleeps!!

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home