March 27, 2006

Sleepless in New York

I used to pride myself on always being able to sleep. Usually within seconds of hitting the pillow I was out like a light. It amazed David. It amazes me.

Lately I go to sleep no problem. In the middle of the night, usually around 3AM-4AM, I wake up to go to the bathroom as usual, but cannot for the life of me go back to sleep. This has been going on for a couple of weeks. With one exception.

Since David was sick all last week I was sleeping in the second bedroom so as not to get his cold. For the most part I slept fine. But I moved back into our room last night and woke up around 3:30AM once again and couldn't get back to sleep until 6:30AM!! Only to have to wake up at 7:30 to go to work. That's three hours of laying in the darkness trying to sleep. I moved to the other room hoping that would help. No dice. I don't have this issue on the weekends, so I know it has to be work related.

The last two weeks have been the most stressful I've dealt with since working at my new job. Three new people to train. My turn to be in charge of "THE BOX" where I have to divide out all the work in the group, be responsible for making sure it's all done, as well as doing my own work that I never to seem to have time to do. It was incredibly stressful. But now my time for THE BOX is over until mid-April. So why can't I sleep? Maybe I was nervous because today and tomorrow I am in Leadership training. Maybe I'm nervous because deep down I don't think I really want to be a leader? Or do I? I didn't like the stress and uneasiness the last two weeks afforded me.

So now of course I am exhausted. Only about 4 hours of sleep just doesn't work for me. So tonight I will try again and hope for the best.

Anyone have any remedies for insomnia that have worked for them in the past? No hot milk. I'm lactose intolerant. So I'm up for anything else you may have to offer!

15 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Melatonin!
It's naturally in your body, this just adds a bit more!
If I don't have any of that, I get by with a benydryl! :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Trish said...

Drink/ sip on some hot water... it knocks me out...I guess it has the same effect as drinking warm milk, but it helps me to fall asleep quickly & sleep soundly... hope you get a good night sleep tonight!
Trish

2:51 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Slepping pills

2:54 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Boy that ambien has been linked to night wakings and night eating! As well as night terrors and sleep walking. Nooo way.

Hot water seems easier and safer.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tylenol PM! it's like legal crack. it's vanilla flavored, delish.

but really, that's pretty dysfunctional and habit forming. . . so i vote for the hot water. --rachel

9:19 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

I guess I should have specified that I was looking for a non-drug approach. So far I just have hot water. I guess I'm looking for any kind of relaxation technique or something like that. The counting down from 1000 used to work for me but alas, no more : (

9:24 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

it's called exercise. exercise helps regulate sleep cycles. just be sure not to exercise within two hours of bedtime, it keeps ur brain active and keeps u awake.

and thats...

one to grow on.

10:56 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

they also say chamomile tea...hot shower prior to bedtime.

oh yeah...

and exercise.

10:57 PM  
Blogger H3NR7 said...

SLEEPY TIME TEA? Duh! And a little...CHEC CHEC. ;)

12:09 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

i do the exercise. i don't want to drink the tea b/c then it'll make me get up to pee and that is when I can't go back to sleep. Tried a Tylenol PM last night, which I wanted to avoid (Don't want to be a junkie like SOME people). STILL got up but went back to sleep within about 30 min :|

1:46 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

Oh, bummer! I know what it's like to be sleep deprived, so I can commiserate! I always have to get up to pee, too, and everyone tells me to not drink anything within 3-4 hours of going to bed. It's hard for me to do because I get so thirsty, but maybe one approach to your inability to get back to sleep after waking up is to try to find ways to not have to get up to pee in the first place?

Other than that, maybe reading? Nothing too gripping, maybe magazines?

2:17 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Watch Boring TV, And your not sleeping because maybe something is on your mind? Listen to Classical Music.. If it bothers David put it in your I-Pod and close your eyes (Put I-Pod on Alarm Clock).. It Works!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Good ideas. I will try the reading and classical music on my iPod.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

did i mention exercising?

10:46 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

man i could lend you my physics book...it could put God to sleep and he invented physics.

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home