September 17, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Whew. Summer is over. At least in my mind it is. And 'tis Fall. The season of change. Every year Fall has me itching for some changes in my life, whether it be home, or job. Of course this time around will be quite a change for the entire family-a new baby. I'm 34 weeks now and time is really flying. We have been super busy with getting things ready. Luckily all our baby stuff was stored in David's parents' basement so with one trip out with a rental car we were able to bring everything we needed back. We also were lucky enough to score a (free!) crib courtesy of our temple garage sale. Of course we'll make a small donation for it, but essentially it's free. Sophie isn't ready to leave her crib just yet, as she seems content and never climbs out, so I see no reason to rock that boat. I will be tired enough with a newborn and see no reason to add in a possible waking-in-the-middle-of-the-night-and-wandering-around-toddler to the mix! So for now she'll stay in hers, and baby will have his/her own.

We painted the room last weekend a light yellowish-beige. At first I was unsure but now I think it's a great color. I've been super busy ordering things online-diapers, Fall clothes for Sophie and new baby, as well as creating a list of other things I need to buy (and soon!) for baby. Hopefully I'll be able to launder all the clothes and car seat/stroller fabrics this weekend sometime. I have this feeling that I will deliver early. Not sure what sparked it, but I've felt this way all through the pregnancy, and something keeps urging me not to put these things off. So for a constant procrastinator I think I'm doing really well. Go Simone!

We're also thinking about signing Sophie up for a pre-school soon. I'm very nervous about how I will handle being at home with the two of them. Sophie is quite a handful now and becomes bored at home very easily, especially since I don't have much time to play with her the two days a week I work from home. It's become increasingly more difficult to juggle the two, and often I end up doing the majority of my work during her 2-3 hour naps and later at night. She definitely needs more stimulation in her life so we're thinking of staring her off in a 2 half day a week class and possibly moving her to a 5 day a week morning preschool in January. The thought is so crazy-our baby girl going to school! But I believe she will truly flourish so it's definitely what needs to be done.

Being pregnant the second time around is truly exhausting when you are working full time and running after a two year old. It really is non-stop. The only time I get to relax is for about an hour or two at night after she goes to sleep. And often I try to do some work or clean things up around the apartment that time so then the only rest I get is when I sleep.

Every single person that I know or don't know has told me I'm having a boy. EVERYONE. Because of this I am convinced I am and have even bought newborn clothes that lean more towards blue than neutral. If it is a girl then I'm sure they'll work for her too.

I still can't believe that in less than 6 weeks we'll have another child. We've gotten so set in our routine that I am very nervous about the shakeup to come. From everyone I know the transition of one to two is pure chaos. Just remembering how long it took to either try and nurse or pump for Sophie, I can't imagine how I'll handle that and tend to Sophie's needs too with #2. It's definitely going to be a juggling act and take some getting used to. I'm so glad David will be home the first two weeks to help out, and hopefully I'll get some type of routine down to where I can manage it all.

I plan to try for a VBAC this time around, and my Dr is on board as well. I actually chose the practice based on their pro-VBAC views and I really hope it pays off. I really would like the experience of a natural birth, as well as having less of a recovery period. The thought of not being able to pick up Sophie for 6 weeks after also scares me as I feel bad enough worrying about her feeling left out when the baby arrives. But there are no promises or definite birth plans, so we will hope for the best and do what we can but of course also whatever is safest for me and baby is what will ultimately be the outcome.

9 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Wow time flies!!!!!

I can't believe baby #2 is around the corner! I remember waiting for the phone call on April 13, 2007. So exciting!
I'm sure you will do fine with two kids ;) hopefully I can see you guys soon!

Lots love!

-Brandon

11:00 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

Oh, yes, so many changes... But try not to be nervous. (Easier said than done, of course!) Things will change, and some of it will be stressful, but soon enough you'll find it hard to remember what life was like without the new baby. :)

I think you're absolutely doing the right thing not rushing Sophie out of her crib. I have friends who transitioned their first kid early in order to free up the crib for the second kid, and all they got was sleepless nights dealing with the first kid in addition to the newborn!

Pre-school sounds like a good idea, too. It'll give you time to bond with the baby one on one, and you are right - Sophie will learn so much being in an environment with peers and other authority figures.

Have you been talking to Sophie about the baby, and her role as the "big sister"? You've probably already gotten advice from others about how to help with her transition when the baby arrives, but if you want any more ideas, I'm happy to share. :)

Overall, it sounds like you've got everything under control! Good luck with the VBAC, and good luck with the nursing!! You'll do great!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Irene, I actually looked at your blog from a year ago yesterday to remind myself of things you did for Isabelle when Sebasatien arrived. I already have decided on what toy the new baby will "give" to her at the hospital and we've got a couple of books on being a big sister. Just these past few days Sophie has seemed to really get it more, running over to me, raising up my shirt and saying "Hi Baby!" It's really cute! But obviously at this age nothing can really prepare them for what's to come, especially the lack of attention in the beginning. Hopefully David can lavish her with attention the first two weeks, but I still worry as she is very attached to Mama.

Any other ideas you can offer that weren't in your blog on how to make her most comfortable are appreciated. Thanks!

9:49 AM  
Blogger irideout said...

Oh, that is SOOOO cute, Sophie saying, "Hi, Baby!" Hee hee.

Well, if you've already "brushed up" on my blog, then you've probably got all the advice I would give! Haha. It makes me happy that my blog may actually be useful in some way!

The lack of attention really is difficult, and I think that goes for everyone, not just Sophie. I remember *I* felt left out in the very early days after coming home, because I was stuck recuperating from the C-section while everyone else was cooking dinner together, or going out for walks together! Somehow, you've got to find a way to accommodate Mommy and Daddy time, Mommy and Sophie time, Mommy and Baby time, Daddy and Sophie time, and Daddy and Baby time! The obvious thing is to say, "Mommy gets Sophie while Daddy gets Baby", but frequently, when Daddy is available for Baby, Mommy wants to sleep!

Anyway, I'm not sure I'm helping. :P The thing is, you'll make it work. Somehow, amid all the stress or chaos, everything will be fine. There'll be some getting used to for everyone, but everyone WILL come around eventually! You're obviously a great mom to Sophie, so just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll do great!

7:36 PM  
Blogger baldeoconnection said...

wow! simone! wow! a lot going on! only from your blog can I get these insights...

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear cousin,
all will fall into place adn everyone will adjust....yes it takes a little time but so does everything, best tip i can give is if people offer to help, take it!! when i was pregnant w/ alex i knew i was having a girl, but everyone and i mean everyone told me i was having a boy, so they convinced me, we were suprised when she arrived!!! i still think you are having a girl, can't wait to find out.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Thanks Cindy. I could've sworn you told me it was a boy when I first told you guys back in the Spring!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope I think you are having a little girl that will look just like david this time!!!
love ya
cindy

3:58 PM  
Anonymous eugene said...

brown works for a girl and a boy.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home