June 06, 2009

Big move, big belly


We're finally moving! This apartment is pretty much EVERYTHING that was on my wish list. It's on the Upper West Side, only 3 blocks from where we currently live. 3 bedroom, 1 bath pre-war place in an ELEVATOR building with a DISHWASHER and a LAUNDRY in the building! These are all things we've never had the luxury of enjoying while living in NYC. It truly is a dream come true. It will be a bit of a stretch to afford it, but with some cutbacks (cut out 2nd cell phone, reduced Netflix, reduced cable, etc) we can make it work. It's amazing what we go without that so many people take for granted. Mainly, space. But this new place is somewhere between 900-1,000 sq feet. A far cry from the 550 sq feet we have now. And I was lucky enough to find it very quickly as it was only the 2nd place we viewed. I had nightmares of spending hours and hours on Craigslist searching for the right place, viewing hundreds of apartments only to be dissapointed time after time. Luckily we didn't have to go through any of that.

Our lease starts June 15 but the super gave us the OK to move in earlier. Already I've met another Mom in the building who has a set of 2 1/2 year old twins and an older daughter. She was so welcoming as was another tenant I met a few minutes later. This place really seems perfect for us as I've always wanted Sophie to have friends in the building. She is now at the age where she is trying to play with other kids at the park. It makes me sad that she really hasn't had any playdates or friends yet. I can't wait to watch her interact with other kids her age.

Luckily I started packing SUPER early. Something that is pretty uncharacteristic of me. We are about 75% done so this weekend we will complete the remaining boxes. I'm nervous about Sophie settling in but I'm sure she'll be fine. We've already taken her over to the new place several times and told her it's our new house. But she keeps insisting her room is the baby's room! Her room is so enormous compared to her current one (currently 9x10 compared to 11x17!) so I really want to make it feel homey for her and not too empty or lonely.

Unfortunately with all our energies placed on this move and Sophie, my pregnancy has taken a back seat! But I am 19.5 weeks now and am really getting bigger by the day. Pants that fit me last week (with the help of a Bellla Band) are now getting too snug and uncomfortable to wear. But man, that Bella Band is the BEST as far as extending your current wardrobe by a couple of months. I decided to get an amniocentisis this time around, only because of my age. While my numbers from the nuchal scan and sequential screen were great, we still wanted the reassurance that everything was ok. While it was a horrible experience for me to get it, only because I was petrified of complications, we got the results back a week and a half later and everything is fine. This week will be the 20 week anatomy scan which is always exciting as you get to see the baby in great detail and usually leave with quite a nice photo of the little one : )

It still hasn't really hit me that we'll have another little on come end of October. Just so much going on. Can't wait to get settled in and get Sophie comfortable. Then I can concentrate more on the next change coming our way.

8 Comments:

Blogger go said...

new place looks amazing, beautiful and spacious, congrats on finding it!

4:53 PM  
Blogger baldeoconnection said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:56 PM  
Blogger baldeoconnection said...

very nice simone! one of my favourite posts from your blog ever! really big news for 2009! it is all working out well! life is great!

love,
andy

5:57 PM  
Blogger tatiana said...

bella band is really a great invention to save on clothes. I still use it to wear my before pregnancy clothes that are about 1 inch to be able to fit. Bella Band ROCKS!!!
Congratulations on the new apartment, is always nice and fun to move specially to a bigger place.
Tatiana

8:38 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

Your new apartment sounds fantastic. How wonderful that Sophie will have playmates in the building!! I really wish we had local friends for my kids, too, but the few mom friends I have are all at least 20 minutes away! No "neighborhood friends". :( It'll be so great for Sophie to have friends right in the building. I'm glad to hear the moms were friendly and inviting to you.

8:55 PM  
Blogger irideout said...

P.S. You look great!! :)

8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi little sister! Long time, hey!
Congrats to you both, on your new pregnancy. Sophie's sure is growing beautifully, well done.
Definately has the 'Launerts eyes'.
Nikita turned 26 last month, & me well another year older for your big sis 'down under', earlier this month.
So glad you found an appartment so quickly, good on you. Best be off.
Love Big Sis XXX

9:59 PM  
Blogger marcosbrasao said...

Hi ! Simone !!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home