September 15, 2005

The procedure

So I had the procedure (D & C) yesterday to remove the baby. It all went pretty smoothly. The procedure couldn't have lasted more than 10-15 minutes. But I wouldn't know because I was out like a light when they started the IV sedation. I awoke in the recovery room amongst many other girls. It was a very smoothly run place. You go in, get your procedure, then you're wheeled into the recovery room, you lay there for a few minutes. Then you are walked over the the recovery chairs, big comfy leather chairs. Next to the chairs are big baskets full of all my favorite cookies-Lorna Doone Shortbread (my all time favorite), Oreos, Fig Newtons and Cream Sandwhich Cookies. A nurse brings you hot cocoa or tea or soda, whatever you want. They take excellent care of everyone and remember everyone's name which really impressed me. I soon realized that all the girls around me weren't there for the same procedure I had. They all had just had abortions. I was the oldest one there. Most were under 20 years old. And for most this wasn't their first one.

One girl was having the first part of a 2 part abortion. She was 20 weeks. She had driven up from Redding, PA because they won't do them there. She drove 2 1/2 hrs by herself. She had to drive herself home, and then be back at the clinic today at 9am. She was very scared and upset that she had no one to go with her. It was her first time in Manhattan.

While it was disturbing to me that these girls have had multiple abortions, I felt that at least they have the choice. And the fact that this choice may be taken away because of assholes in Bush's government scares me. If these girls didn't have this option they would all be having babies that they are not prepared to have. Having this choice is so very important.

7 Comments:

Blogger irideout said...

Simone, I am so impressed with your maturity, level-headedness, and strength. I'm proud to know you - even if it is only through blogging. You sound well, though I'm sure it's a roller-coaster ride for you. I'm glad you and David can take care of each other, and you be sure to take care of yourself.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

thanks Irene. It is very difficult. Everything I've thought about for the last 2 mths revolves around the pregnancy. I've been waking up in the night and the first though that enters my mind is "I can't believe I'm not pregnant anymore". I guess I'm really nervous that I won't be able to have children, even though I know that is most likely not the case. It still crosses my mind. My Dr said 1 out of 6 pregnancies end in miscarriage, so it is very common. But still, I don't want to have to go through this again.

I'm eagerly awaiting the day your blog tells of the birth of lovely Isabelle. Can't wait to see what she looks like!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I can't imagine how hard that was for you.
You describe it so well.
My best friend had the same thing just happen to her last week.
Her 13 week pregnancy didn't make it past 8 weeks.
It's devistating.
Again, I'm so very sorry.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Simone said...

Thanks Jen. My pregnancy book said that most abortions happen in monthly cycles, much like the period. They said most miscarriages will happen at 4, 8 or 12 wks. The body is such a mystery and a wonderous thing.

3:20 PM  
Blogger e.kuo. said...

simone- very sad to hear about the miscarraige. i am also very impressed with how you have taken this in stride. excited about irene's baby, aiden will have another cousin to play with at get togethers, but more excited about the day you blog and say you are preggo again and soon have a baby. then when we visit uncle eugene in nyc, we'll have a playdate with your future kid and aiden.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

OOOO, well the good thing is that now you can go on: Kinda Ka!, but If I was you I would rather have a child then going on a rollarcoaster,But Good Luck and I hope you feel better!

11:04 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

OK I posted!

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home