August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I feel so horrible for the residents of New Orleans. Seeing first hand the damage that a hurricane can do (Andrew, 1992) I know what is coming. More than that, this is a Category 5, and New Orleans is 6 feet below sea level. Henry said he heard that if you haven't visited New Orleans yet, you probably never will.

Any news of hurricane's sends chills down my spine. Although we did not get the worst of Hurricane Andrew by any means (we were about 50 miles North of the worst damage) we did see the damage that was done. My friends who did live in the worst hit areas thought they were going to die. Windows of their homes blown out, doors pulled off, roofs ripped wide open, everyone hiding in the bathroom holding the door closed. My friend and I had driven down to the Homestead/South Miami area 2 days after the storm. It was utter, complete devastation. Miles of housing developments were completely flattened. Thousands of trees were all laying down like they had been run over by a freight train. Entire sides of apartment buildings were ripped off like you pulled the lid off a can of tuna fish to reveal the occupants and devastation inside. Never did we think that a storm could do this much damage. And we didn't have a storm surge in most areas. We didn't have a Category 5.

It breaks my heart that this beautiful city is about to witness the ultimate hell and there is absolutely nothing they can do but run to save only their own lives and the shirts on their back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Yea thats horrible, And I thought Katrina hit us bad!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Spo0kybear said...

my roommate went to new orleans last thursday, i think i'll have a room for rent soon

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home