December 20, 2005

Strike One

So getting to work was pretty easy. As soon as I went outside, all bundled up and prepared to walk, I saw a cab across the street. Empty. So I ran over and jumped in. The taxi driver was nervous and clueless on what to do. He said he needed 4 passengers because in order to get me downtown we had to turn onto 96th street and then re-enter through all the cops checking to make sure everyone was abiding by the 4 passenger limit. So we started to move and I yelled out the window to pedestrians "WHO NEEDS TO GO DOWNTOWN?" Two ladies approached and both were on my way. So we began driving. After we dropped off #1 the driver starts saying "look at all the other cabs! None of them have their meters on. I have my meter on!". Apparently he wasn't aware that he could charge by zone and for each passenger individually. Whatever. Just get me to work buddy. We picked up another one. I was the last to get out. Everyone paid a percentage of the fare. Yet when I asked him how much he told me to pay the full fare. WTF? I was just so glad that I didn't have to walk in the freezing cold that I paid him, no tip.

Upon leaving work tonight I realized I did leave him a tip. A very generous one. It seems I have lost David's iPod and the only place it could be is in that cab. It must have fallen out of my coat pocket. It was my wedding gift to him. I've never lost anything. Can't believe I started with this.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

That Sucks, Did he get mad? I know I would... did you find a way to get on the airport thursday?

10:03 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

He's not mad but a little sad. But there's nothing we can do, it's gone.

Still not sure how to get to airport. We will try to catch cab to Penn Station and then take Long Island Railroad to airport.

7:03 AM  
Blogger irideout said...

Oh, what a bummer about the iPod! I really really hate losing things. I mean, I think I get more bent out of shape than others, because I so seldom lose stuff, that when it happens, I feel bad that I lost something and I feel incompetent.

Leave plenty of time to get to the airport!! Another exciting trip for you guys. Can't wait to read about it when you get back. :) Have a great time!

8:33 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Can't you reserve a Taxi if you call them or something?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

Yayy!!! Tommarow Miami! Brinng a Jacket its nice and cool here! did you find a way to get here?

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home