April 24, 2006

Orchidphile

Went to the Orchid Show yesterday at Rockefeller Center. Anyone who knows me from back in the day knows I used to be an Orchidphile. I was obsessed. At one time I had 30 orchids in our tiny apartment. Our tiny apartment with no light. I had big flourescent lights set up. But in the end I had to give up because it was just too difficult to grow them. So I set them out on the fire escape in the Summer, and never brought them back in. So they all died once Wintertime came around. I have about 5 right now. Two were gifts, three were bought. I actually was able to get one of them to rebloom a month ago. This has given me hope.

Yesterday we were annoyed that they wanted to charge us $5 to get in to the show. I know its cheap, but it was just the principle of the thing. And the main reason I was really there was to buy anyway. So we went over to the vendors selling all the orchids at the end and I went to town! Buying orchids in the last half hour of the last day of the show is key. Prices start coming down. I scored 3 plants. Two in bloom, one about to bloom in a few weeks. All were reduced between $5-$10 each so I did good. In all I think I spent $75. Not bad for the beautiful plants that will (hopefully) bring me years of joy.

And if not, there destiny lies on the fire escape :/

1 Comments:

Blogger irideout said...

Ooh, pretty! I like orchids too.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home