April 22, 2006

Threepenny Opera

We saw The Threepenny Opera on Tuesday. I was very excited to see my darling Alan Cumming again on Broadway. The last time I saw him was in Cabaret way back when. He was so amazingly charismatic and magnetic. I remember I couldn't take my eyes off of him. Even when Sally Bowles was singing her heart out, I found myself searching the stage for him. So the thought of seeing him again on Broadway was exciting.

The play was good. Not great. The opening song "Mac the Knife" with the entire cast was awesome. The stage was very bare with the exception of giant neon signs that came down from above for each act. But the first half of the show had way too much Polly, and not nearly enough Alan Cumming or Cyndi Lauper. None of the music was very memorable but I still enjoyed the show. I loved Jim Dale as Mr. Peachum. He has such talent. But I feel they wasted Alan and Cyndi on way too few numbers. But what little of them I saw I loved. Strange thing at the end, the cast walked off the stage, and never returned. We had no chance to applaud them and they had no chance to bow to us. Left me feeling a little cold. Actually, the whole play was a little cold and bare. they never gave us a chance to really bond with the characters. But at least I got a little glimpse of Alan, and hopefully he'll be back again soon in another performance that will really showcase his talent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brandon said...

Did you have Fun??

9:30 PM  
Blogger Simone said...

Yes

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home